Very afterschool special like.

The Adventures of Jillian Spectre - Nic Tatano

2.5 Stars

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and HarperImpulse to review.

I found this to be an easy, interesting read. I really liked the world that Nic Tatano built and I found myself intrigued by the whole concept. I liked the idea of a world where having paranormal powers are not a secret. The idea of a muse was something that I thought was rather original, which is satisfying when reading a book in this genre, because it seems almost everything has been done already.

Overall I was dissatisfied. I found the characters to be rather two dimensional. I didn't find myself believing in any of the romance aspects of the book. It was similar to insta-love, yet maybe the author is just trying to depict teenage relationships.

The whole teenagers-saving-the-world thing has been done a hundred times, and it was boring in this book. Also, the morals they are trying to show you in this book? Very after school special, and very obnoxious. "Technology is turning us into zombies" and "we all decided to wait".... seriously? Maybe if I was in elementary school this book would have been a good read, but I don't think it is a YA book.