Heartbreaking

Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose - Gillian McCain, Legs McNeil

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire in exchange for an honest review.

Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose is a story of a girl struggling to escape her demons. It is a very raw story of a very real girl who suffered through some traumatic issues and tried to find an escape through drugs. Mary Rose was handed a shitty hand of cards and tried to play them the only way she knew how. Having read Go Ask Alice I expected something like that, but this book is in a whole different league.

I found this book to be absolutely heartbreaking, as no one should have to go through what Mary Rose did. My only issue with it is that it is a diary and not a novel, so it jumped around a bit. There wasn't much of an introduction to every new person, and at times I felt as if I didn't know who Mary Rose was talking about. None of that prevented me from getting wrapped up in Mary Rose's life though.

This story made me cry, not during the book, but after I was done reading and was thinking about it. Throughout most of the book Mary Rose is starting her diary entries with "Dear Nobody", clearly thinking that she didn't have anyone who would ever care to read it. Yet obviously there were people that cared about her enough to go get this published. I found it to be a great tribute to her as she mentioned how she would someday like to be an actor or an author.

I would suggest this for any teenager, anyone who has ever struggled with disease or drugs, anyone who has ever suffered a loss of a loved one and anyone who has ever felt alone in this world. I think we all go through times in life where we feel unloved, lonely and sad. But after the book is over it is clear that there were people that cared about Mary Rose, even if she didn't see it.