A walk in the shoes of a bully

Tease - Amanda Maciel

This is one of those books that will enter your heart and never leave. It takes you to a point of view that you never see, the bully. Sara and her friends bully the new girl Emma for being a slut up until Emma kills herself, and then they all face criminal charges after her death.

Amanda Maciel has some serious guts to write from the point of view of the bully. It takes some incredible writing for you to actually see the other side of things, when typically all we feel for bullies is hatred. That's not to say you will love the main character Sara all the time, actually most of the time I hated her. I don't think I can say I've ever hated a main character in the story, but Sara and her friends are downright cruel to Emma. What makes this book so amazing is that you might hate the main character, yet love the book.

This story broke my heart in so many ways, first and foremost is that it was inspired by a true story. High school is a difficult time for everyone and I don't think most people think about the detrimental effects that bullying can have on a person. But I do know that we don't think about why someone is being bullied, or what the bully is going through themselves. Tease puts you in the shoes that most of us never thought we'd walk in.